Friday, July 25, 2008

Where the Sidewalk Ends

In my wanderings around my Small Town, I have recently come across that elusive place...where the sidewalk ends. I managed to find where the sidewalk ends on accident. I went for a jog, following some directions I had been given, and apparently mistook Left for Right. Happily I went along, until, all of sudden, no more sidewalk!

In case you are wondering, I have found that it actually ends in a cornfield. Not hugely exciting, but surprising nonetheless. It is one of those things that you don't really consider you will ever encounter. For me, I have never lived in a place where the sidewalk just ends. It may skip a house lot, or bypass a park, but it always continues, it is always leading the way, giving you a direction. Here you get to the edge of town, and the sidewalk just ends. As in many Small Towns, people are very nice here at the end of the sidewalk. There is even a sign to tell you to 'Stop' so that you don't mistakenly continue on to become lost in the corn.



Most people are very good, and stop at the sign, take in the view, look at the paved road in front and the gravel road to the side, ponder some thoughts, and then turn back to wander back to where they started. At least, this is what I had to do, as becoming Lost is not something to do when jogging out by yourself, with miles and miles of cornfields surrounding you. As I retraced my steps, I had several things to think about.

One thing was the issue of fire hydrants. I haven't yet figured out is why cornfields need to have fire hydrants? I've now seen several of these in the area, and have not seen them ever before in my life anywhere I've been. Maybe they're a new innovation in farming that I just haven't kept up with?


Although I suppose, seeing as I am, or was, a city girl, innovations in farming aren't exactly my forte. Or even my area of any sort of remote expertise. Another new thing to file away to ask someone later. Hopefully someone with a farm.

No comments: