Monday, September 8, 2008

Go Warriors!

This past Friday evening, I encountered a Small Town phenomenon that I had rather forgot about. Or at least only really seen in the movies. I decided to head out for a run a bit before 7pm. As I left the house and ran towards the high school (my usual route), I realized that all cars were heading in the same direction. They came in off of side streets and drove towards the school. What was going on??

I could hear some sort of announcements coming from the direction of the school. Everyone in the cars was wearing purple. Of course! It was Friday night, and that means High School Football. Everyone goes to the football game to cheer on their Warriors.

Well, as my normal route takes me around the football stadium and past the soccer fields, I got several mighty strange looks as I ran by. Why on earth was I running away from the school? When there was a football game? I could hear the cheerleaders and the band start to get the crowd going. Then the starting lineups began to be announced.

At this point I was about a block or so on the other side of the school, but I could still hear the announcer. I ran around my normal route along the edge of town, and still I could hear the football game, play-by-play, even though I was at least 1/2 mile away. I pretty much heard the entire first half of the game on my run. A nice way to hear the game and get something accomplished. I could listen to the second half from the comfort of my front porch. As long as the windows are open, I can hear the announcer just as if I was sitting in the stands. This is a bonus for the football and soccer games, but not so much for marching band practice.

On a tangent, I ended up running about 4.7 miles that night. Not on purpose, I was planning on only about 3. But the Small Town conspired against me. I tried a new way home. I could SEE the water tower just off of Main Street, but no matter which road I tried that pointed towards Main Street it went off in a random direction. I ended up a good ways down the highway and had to run back into town. Lucky for me at least I knew which way I had to go on the highway. Who knew I could even make myself run that far. I guess if you know you have to get home, you can manage it.

No comments: