Friday, July 10, 2009

Curtain dilemma

One of the random things that I am trying to do amidst all the other ongoings is to try and find some curtains for my living room window. It is of an extremely wide width (118"), and is on the west side of the house which makes the entire room 90+ if the sun is out. It is also located behind one of the couches. This means that the best curtain rod for hanging curtains to cover it is one of those types that allow for a drawstring on one side, rather than trying to close curtains whilst standing on the couch cushions.

Our current curtains are from approximately 1960 and need to go. You may have seen them in previous posts. They are of a dirty golden textured variety. The challenge in this endeavour is that the living room is bright orange (similar to the Dukes of Hazzard's General Lee). There are not many styles of curtain that can go with such a color. In addition, there are also not many choices of curtains in the style that allow for the drawstring rod.

After an adventure to the department store, where I was informed that they are properly called draperies, not curtains (??), I was given 3 choices of pattern: strange hospital texture, plain, and striped. This is the first set that I have brought home - the striped.

I don't think I am liking them, but maybe I'll leave them up a bit and see. Some times after a bit, changes don't seem so bad. Or maybe I'll go online and see if I can find something I like better.

Note: I feel rather more adult than I did previously, ordering draperies rather than curtains. I don't know why, I just do.

Note 2: I have also finished knitting a rug for the kitchen. It was an easy project, good for watching TV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the curtains---I mean drapes. The drapes and the wall are in the wrong color pallets though. Either the wall needs to be lighter or the curtain needs to be brighter. The colors don't need match but it should be in the same family or intensity. Not a designer but that is my assessment.

EV

Karin said...

I agree. This pattern doesn't come in the right brightness, so back to the shop they went. Now I have some on order that are a darker blue but solid. Rather similar to the color of our den. Here's hoping.