Friday, February 13, 2009

Closets

If you have ever lived in an old house, you know that closet space was not generally the priority it is today. You may have even read my earlier post on the excitement that I had with my new closet this past summer.

In our house, the Master Bedroom had one of the smallest closets of all the bedrooms. 3' x 3' with a door in one wall. We had already decided to enlarge it slightly to be 4' x 5' and move the doorway to be able to actually put hanging rods into it that allow you to put normal sized hangers on them. In showing off our "progress" to my father-in-law, he suggested that we see what was behind the lathe wall in the closet that had the stairway under it. What a great idea!


The ceiling for the stairs form a triangle, which would maybe allow for shelving in the closet. I started pulling off the lathe to look, and found nothing but empty space.


This means that we can: 1. put the new heat vent through that space into the Master Bedroom, 2. put shelves and a hanging rod on that side of the closet also.


It is still not enough space for all of the clothes for the both of us, but it is much more than we had before. And now I have a place to put my shoes and bags.

Another wish I had put into our remodel plans was to get a linen closet. As right now, I have no place to store any bed or table linens. Especially placemats. We have several sets of placemats, as I like them quite a bit. However, there are no drawers or cupboards in the entire house in which they fit. Not one! So, I specified a linen closet with shelves that will fit the placemats. And I got one! We had just enough space at the end of the hall to turn around the old bathroom door so that it opens into the hall and use the space as a linen closet. I also splurged slightly and had it lined with cedar particle board. It smells quite yummy now.

An additional positive is that we now have a painted Master Bedroom. This means that it will become a giant storage closet, as I now have to clean out yet another room.


An amusing note about the paint, is when I took out the wall over the stairs, apparently, at one time the hall had been painted almost the same color we just painted our bedroom.


Apparently paint colors come back into fashion, just like clothes. Who knew?

No comments: