Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Shiny Blue Tub

For days now, I've been eagerly awaiting the return of the cast iron clawfoot tub. After my stint with the angle grinder, we sent it off to be sandblasted and painted. As so much of Bath Two is white, I thought that painting the tub a pretty color would make a nice statement. So off it went to the Auto Body Shop with a piece of the blue tile as a companion. I wanted the outside of the tub to be a shiny cobalt blue, and the feet of the tub to be shiny white.

After I'd done this, of course, I was a bit nervous to see the results. Luckily, it turned out even better than I'd imagined. It is Very Blue and unbelievably shiny. The shop used the same clear coat finish that they do on cars, so it will only get harder with time. Great for not having the paint chip and flake off as it does on every other clawfoot I've seen.

First the tub went from the truck into my kitchen where it hung out for a while, until a few things got moved and the plumber got organized. Then up the tub went on the stairs. We'd left the carpeting on in order to be able to slide heavy things up and down during the construction. At the top of the stairs, we put it on wheels and maneuvered it into place.

Additionally, the ductwork for the cold air return and the heating/cooling got done this week, making it that much closer to having heat upstairs again. Seeing as it's been a bit colder than normal, I can't wait!

No comments: