Thursday, April 2, 2009

Small people for Small spaces

Sometimes, it is a blessing to be on the short side, and able to fold myself up small, and other times it is not. The past few days have been more on the "not" side of this. As we found out earlier, our house has no insulation. None. Nada. Zip. We have been trying to rectify this situation as we open up walls and ceilings.

As most of the ceiling of our den is currently open, we can get into the crawl space above the addition (the one that resulted in suspension of the 2nd floor many years ago) and put insulation in. The caveat is that the opening is very small, and the only one around here small enough to get inside it is me. Up the ladder I went, with long sleeves and pants, and respirator and safety glasses, and gloves and bandanna. All of this was required, as, 1. I didn't know what I was going to find, and 2. we were using the blown cellulose insulation. Very dusty, and very messy.

I did stick the camera up into the space before I went in to see if I really did need to go up, and to see if there were any surprises. As you can see, there were nothing but pipes and rafters.

After I got folded up into the crawl space, the hose for the insulation was sent up after me, as we both didn't fit thru the hole at the same time.

Here I am with my hose. You can see that there is not a whole lot of room in there with me. I could not sit up, nor turn over, but had to sit on my hip on the ceiling joists so as not to fall thru the ceiling. Not too comfy.

After about 45 min of shoving the hose in farther, and blowing insulation all over the place, I managed to fill about 2/3 of the space before running out of insulation. This means that we will still need to put some more insulation in this summer, but it is still better than before.

Oof. I am not looking forward to doing this again.

No comments: