Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Snowfall Update

Again we have had another snowfall. This one combined with freezing rain to put about 1/4" of ice onto the horizontal driving and walking surfaces - causing me to take 20min to thaw my windshield wipers, and clear the ice off the car windows - and then it began to snow. And snow, and snow and snow and snow. And also blow. There are some Very Large Snowdrifts just a short ways out of town. I'm going to see if I can get a picture of them without causing an accident.

Here is the measurement taken at the start of the snowfall (it includes about 1.5" that fell in the 3hr I was at work):



That snowblower is looking to get a workout this year. Yay for the snowblower! It will be interesting to see who is right on the total snowfall amount for this winter, the news meteorologists, who predicted a low-to-average snowfall; or the Farmer's Almanac, who has predicted another winter like last winter, with snow banks taller than me.

Additional learning: If one wishes to measure the snow depth and document for posterity, one should try to find a ruler that is not clear, as it greatly confuses the camera flash, and makes it difficult to focus on. Maybe next time I will try and use the tape measure from the workshop.

No comments: